Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express is a powerful and reliable free data management system that delivers a rich and reliable data store for lightweight Web Sites and desktop applications.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express is free and contains feature-rich editions of SQL Server that are ideal for learning, developing, powering desktop, web & small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs. The SQL Server 2014 Express release includes the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio. For a complete list of supported features in SQL Server Management Studio, see Features in SQL Server Management Studio.
- LocalDB is a lightweight version of Express that has all its programmability features, yet runs in user mode and has a fast, zero-configuration installation and short list of pre-requisites. Use this if you need a simple way to create and work with databases from code. It can be bundled with Application and Database Development tools like Visual Studio and or embedded with an application that needs local databases.
- Express edition includes the SQL Server database engine only. Best suited to accept remote connections or administer remotely.
- This package contains everything needed to install and configure SQL Server as a database server including the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio. Choose either LocalDB or Express depending on your needs above.
- This does not contain the database, but only the tools to manage SQL Server instances, including LocalDB, SQL Express, SQL Azure, full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio, etc. Use this if you already have the database and only need the management tools.
- This package contains all the components of SQL Server Express including the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services.